Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever

     As I sit here thinking about what to write, I receive a call from my good friend in Panama City, Florida having the time of his life.  I am now a senior and have not gone anywhere for spring break during my undergraduate years for various financial reasons or prior obligations, and I am deeply troubled by that.  Therefore, I will write a therapeutic message for myself, and hopefully others that may need it.  These are my top five reasons why I can’t wait for spring.

5.) I get to shed clothes and not have to blame this behavior on intoxication.  By the time of the first thaw, I’m ready to bust out the shorts and short sleeve shirts in preparation for warmer weather.  The only problem is that in Wisconsin the first thaw usually means it gets up to 38 degrees which is hardly shorts weather.  I never thought I’d hate the saying that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.  Can’t we just skip the lion part?

4.) The days are longer.  I don’t know about others, but 16 hours of darkness every day gets a little annoying at times.  It is a little depressing at times that I can get up and go to work when it’s dark and come home in the dark.  It has always been my belief that people should not be up before the sun rises.  My roommate says it best: “Drink when it’s light out, sleep when it’s dark out.”  I dig brother.  I dig.

3.) The Milwaukee Brewers host spring training and opening day at Miller Park.  This will be my first time at Miller Park this year for the opening day festivities, but I’m sure it will not be my last.  I firmly believe that it is more difficult to be a Milwaukee Brewers fan than any other fan in baseball.  But spring gives me hope that this will be the Brewers year that they finally have a winning season no matter how many stars and contributors they trade away for “prospects.”  I think this may be the Brewers year, so bring on the Cubs and their fair-weather fans.

2.) The golf clubs come out.  Quite possible the only game that I can dub “the greatest game ever invented” and “the game that I hate the most” simultaneously, golf provides an escape to whatever ails me.  The scenery, the competition, the camaraderie, and the unexplained cases of Turrets (i.e. I wouldn’t say such things around my parents) that go along with golf are unparalleled.  If only I could shoot more consistently…

1.) Spring means I’m nearly done with another year of school.  After all, what comes after spring?  Summer—and summer has even more potential than spring.  But… good things come to those who wait, so I’m willing to put up with spring in the meantime.  However, I find that studying for exams becomes immensely more difficult when you look out the window and see others enjoying the weather.  In spring you just have to study harder in order to party harder.

Another spring break has gone down the tubes and I’m left with another case of Cabin Fever.  It appears I’ll get no relief either because snow is in the forecast.  I guess I’ll just reread my list again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home